canberrabirds

honeyeater odds and sods

To: "'shaun bagley'" <>
Subject: honeyeater odds and sods
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:22:12 +1000

G’day Shaun,

I know the area you mean even though I have never really spent much time there (I don’t go in that general direction very often). If the ironbarks are in flower, and I have been told that they are somewhat further north in the Griffith to West Wyalong area, then it is not unusual for so many species of honeyeaters, and other nectar loving species like lorikeets and Swift Parrots, to be present. Also keep your eye open for Regent Honeyeaters which are occasionally found there. This time of year the numbers quite possibly could be augmented by migrating Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters. I know from the times when the ironbarks at our banding site at The Charcoal Tank NR near WW do their thing, both species of friarbirds can be deafening, not to mention downright painful when we catch dozens of them – they have VERY good claws. Hopefully we will find these sorts of concentrations this weekend when we go out banding to CTNR.

Cheers,

Mark