canberrabirds

Diamond Firetail Finches

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Diamond Firetail Finches
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:25:20 +1000
Greetings all:   On the recent weekend, I saw one DFT with Southern Whiteface in this area, near the carpark and track leading to Shepherd's Lookout, just before you go down the road to the treatment works.  It has been good to see the re-surgence of this species in various spots around Canberra in the last year or so, after a long period of very few records.

May I encourage all observers of this species to put in a data sheet to COG.  One reason is that we have very few records of this species at our 14 woodland monitoring locations, not enough to get any meaningful trends from the data analysed.  Several years ago, COG did a nomination to have this species listed as a threatened species under the ACTs Nature Conservation Act - this was unsuccessful, partly because we did not have convincing enough (local) data of a sufficient decline.  DFTs are listed in NSW, but the bar here in Canberra is higher!  There may come a time when we will need to consider another shot at a listing - and all these records will be valuable.

cheers
Jenny