canberrabirds

silver gull

To: <>
Subject: silver gull
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:35:20 +1100
Without wishing to detract from the more serious purpose of the below, I make the following quick comment, which was at the front of my mind while visualising the difficulty of the fish-hook extraction.

I did a quite a bit of tropical fish-catching at one stage, and always carried a pair of wire-cutters able to sever the shank of a hook.  I still do so in the box in my car and the tool is a remarkably useful one for various purposes.  When the point and barb of the hook have passed through something, the shank can easily be pulled through after the eye has been snipped off.