canberrabirds

White-throated Nightjar at Gooroo

To: <>
Subject: White-throated Nightjar at Gooroo
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:45:47 +1100
Hi all

Had the good fortune to flush a WT Nightjar this morning while doing reptile surveys. I had good flight views but even better luck followed when it landed only 40 metres away and I was able to sneak over and find it on the ground. It was partially obscured but I could see the head and back clearly. It was watching me closely and after 20 seconds or so took off and disappeared over a ridge about 80 metres away. I didn't follow it up as I couldn't see if it had landed, and I was supposed to be working.

If anyone wants to try their luck, the location was 35 11 45s / 149 11 14e, on the southern slopes of Old Joe Hill, amongst a planted area of small eucalypts etc. See the COG map  http://www.canberrabirds.org.au/GoorooyarrooNRMap.htm

Head for the big dam in the north of Euro Valley, at the base of Old Joe Hill and then go upslope. The fence is a bit tricky to get over but there is a gate through it about 100 metres from the dam. >From here you should be able to see the planted area. It is quite steep and ground visibility is not great as the area is quite thickly covered with tall grasses (Plume Grass Dichelachne sp, I think). There have also been a pair of dark Brown Falcons in this area, and twice in the last 3 days I've flushed Boobooks from some large Drooping Sheoaks to the east of the plantation area.

cheers

Steve
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.