canberrabirds

Belconnen Superb Parrots

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Belconnen Superb Parrots
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:15:08 +1100
Arrived at Belconnen Mall / DIMIA carparks at 8:25am today but found no Superb Parrots until I saw c. 20 overhead that seemed to be descending towards Lake Ginninderra. Ten minutes later, at 8:50am, I found small, loose groups further south feeding in carpark trees behind the old Benjamin Offices. At a guesstimate, fifty birds, almost all female and immatures.

Saw two instances of  mature males feeding a youngster. Enjoyed wonderful, close views of the event. Before commencing feeding, and a couple of times during feeding, the parent bird moved its head in a jerking, roughly circular motion for about 10 seconds, before regurgitating to junior. The head movements were such that, had I not known what was going on, I would have thought the bird was experiencing some kind of physical distress. During the 20 minutes I watched the groups I didn't see a female feeding young.

I noticed that some of the immature birds appeared remarkably young i.e. very short tail feathers indeed. I wonder how far these little dodgers traveled from where they hatched?

John K. Layton.