canberrabirds

Superbs observations

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Superbs observations
From: "Rosemary Blemings" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:56:22 +1100
The numerous observations of this year's influx of Superbs has been invaluable & fascinating. That's especially true of the observed foraging habits.
I was last on Mt Rogers on Sat 14th Jan. hearing no evidence of Superbs' presence then or in the previous week's visits (varying between 07:30 to 09:00hrs approx) Reliable SP observers said they'd not seen or heard them there for a week or so. They had been present since around 10th December.
For some reason the family groups have moved away into the suburbs earlier than 'normal' this summer rather than  following the apparent daily pattern of leaving Mt R. in the mornings & returning as dusk approached through to at least early to mid January.
I have not solved the mystery as to where they roost in the Fraser area but you have mentioned possible roosting areas this summer.
The numbers recorded in Belconnen have been phenomenal, more than double the best tallies for Mt R sightings over recent years, I'd say.

It's wonderful that so many people have seen these spectacular parrots closer to home especially those who aren't as well e-connected or ornithological as we're able to be.

Has an article been written about this season's extraordinary bird-happenings for The Canberra Times or The Chronicle ? I've given up subscribing to the daily CT.

Thanks for sharing the emailed SP-puzzle pieces.

Rosemary

P.S.
Where do the family groups/flock go once Belconnen's eaten out?
Have there been any sightings in the east...Wamboin, Sutton, Gundaroo?