canberrabirds

[UNCLASSIFIED] A superb reflection

Subject: [UNCLASSIFIED] A superb reflection
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:43:29 +1100

This has been an interesting discussion. On the topic of superbs feeding on insects, in captivity superbs are well known to feed on insects, predominantly mealworms, particularly when breeding. They do this more than any other large parrot I can think of, except perhaps cockatoos (check out the walk through aviary if you don’t believe me). This may be biased by the fact they are more often kept with finches (which tend to be fed livefood). If it isn’t in HANZAB doesn’t mean it isn’t true.  I cant recall if they feed on crickets/grasshoppers. I suspect they would feed on grasshoppers, but only on occasion and I don’t think this would be a reason to migrate. In my original email I wondered about whether food might be a reason for coming to Canberra as implied below in the Woodland Strategy however I wasn’t convinced by ‘acacia seed’ and therefore asked for observations of feeding. My gut feeling is that the influx is a post breeding (nesting) dispersal in search of food. Chris D suggestion that it has been a good year for wild oats is correct. Although seeding finished many months ago around most of Belconnen seeding may have been extended around watered ovals, so this may still be a reason. On Anthonys 'group learning' I recall seeing something on it for starlings but cant think of others, except of course insects where it is a common scientific meme.

Benj Whitworth

‘4.6.9 Superb Parrot

( Polytelis swainsonii)

(for species description see Appendix 2.7)

HABITAT REQUIREMENTS

Critical habitat features for the Superb Parrot include:

■ clusters of large living and dead trees for nesting sites.

The Hall area in the northern part of the ACT forms the southern edge of one of the two main centres for breeding distribution of the Superb Parrot (Figure 4.1). This area extends north to Cowra and west to Cootamundra. Martin (1996) and Davey (1997) identified a number of areas to the north-west of the ACT that are potentially important breeding habitat areas for the Superb Parrot. Off-reserve habitat retention is very important for this ‘landscape’ species as its breeding habitat is mainly located in rural lands where woodlands are highly fragmented. The Superb Parrot forages mainly on the ground for seeds of grasses and herbs but also feeds in the canopy and outer branches of shrubs. The species has been recorded in the breeding season in the ACT utilising seeds of planted Acacia spp. and lerps on remnant Yellow Box trees (Taws 2002).

THREATS

The Superb Parrot has been seriously disadvantaged by extensive clearing and disturbance of its prime habitat, the box woodlands in the ACT, NSW and Victoria. In the past, activities associated with illegal trade in wildlife, such as poaching and trapping, are likely to have contributed to the decline of Superb Parrot in the ACT region but the species is now abundant in captivity. Road kills of birds feeding on spilt grain remain a problem. However, the overall effects on the species are insignificant in comparison with habitat loss and its consequential effects. (See also sections 4.3, 4.4.2 and Table 4.2).’

 ACT Government, 2004 Woodlands for Wildlife: ACT Lowland Woodland Conservation Strategy. Action Plan No. 27. Pg 52. Environment ACT, Canberra.

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF