canberrabirds

Ian's quiz night

To: "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Ian's quiz night
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:52:27 +1100
Yes, it was an entertaining and stimulating performance, as one would expect of Nature's Voice on local ABC radio.  However, if Ian and Mark are going to alternate in doing these I do hope there is not going to be a 'gotcha' race.  From muttered asides by Mark that I believe I overheard I fear there might be some thunderclouds building there, and I would hate to think that naive tryers like myself were going to get caught in the middle of it.

My own brave little team did quite well at the start, but faded as the evening wore on.  I fear I might have been partly to blame, for the following reason.  At night, as a sleeping aid, I customarily try a few memory games with such things as bird names.  I have found that one of the more soporific is mentally listing all bird names that contain a reference to a mineral.  By the time I get to ten, I have usually nodded off quite satisfactorily.  As ill-luck would have it - and I am certainly not attributing any blame to Ian here - we were asked to perform that very ritual right at the climax of the quiz.  Personally, I didn't mind getting a bit comatose on Wednesday night, but since then when I try the same thing as a sleeping aid, I suddenly snap wide awake, and, my wife tells me, shout things like 'no, no, not a water dragon' ...

Speaking of the ABC, it did not escape my notice that when 'our' little  bird music test was perpetrated again on the radio yesterday the person-administering said, cunningly, 'just listen to these two and see how easy it is and ring in' and then played the only 2 of the 10 excerpts recognisable by a person who had followed a normal kind of life up until then.  I can understand why she didn't play a couple of the hardys by way of inducement to those battlers out there in local-ABC-land!