canberrabirds

Common Koels

To: <>
Subject: Common Koels
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:54:29 +1100

No Martin, the Canberra community is not excessively preoccupied with koels. In case everyone has forgotten, I asked for reports of koels to be posted on the chat line as (1) I am writing an article on their occurrence, for CBN (2) not everyone keeps a GB chart, and besides, postings are available immediately and sometimes provide specific times which help in pinpointing the number of koels around, and (3) incidental records for koels are patchy at best – though I would encourage everyone to put them in. Keep up the good work (ie postings), folks! Particularly as the season draws on. And while on the subject of koels, I had an interesting encounter with three of them at about 7am on Christmas morning. Two females and one male were perched in a coastal banksia adjacent to the carpark at Broulee surf beach. The two females were facing one another and calling loudly, mostly the “wirra wirra wirra” call but with a few “ko-el”s thrown in. They kept this up for a good half hour. The male, meanwhile, sat by, shuffled his wings, emitted an occasional “ko-el” but mostly just watched on. They were still at it, but had moved across the road to a casuarina, when I came out of the surf. It appears to be a good year for cuckoos at the coast, with Channel-bills, Brush, Shining Bronze, Horsfield’s and Fan-taileds all calling in and seen around around my patch near Broulee. But no young, as yet. b