canberrabirds

a clarification on tying birds legs together.

To: "Mark Clayton" <>
Subject: a clarification on tying birds legs together.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:53:24 +1100
Ah yes Mark, I am sure your correction is right. I thought it didn't quite sound right. But then maybe it was. You wrote (and I know to be true) "most specimens are stored on their backs". Therefore whether the rod is under or over the legs could be correct either way, depending on whether you view it as how the bird may have been when it was alive or now lying on its back.

I would have thought that the answer to Martin's question was obvious (crossing the legs makes a triangle out of the three geometric points, having them just tied together is less stable). It is exactly the same as why chickens legs are tied together with an elastic string before going into the oven for roasting and selling at the supermarket. That is so they don't break apart.