canberrabirds

Hobby returning to Kambah nest?

To: <>
Subject: Hobby returning to Kambah nest?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:31:30 +1100
I went for a short stroll on Mt Taylor today and at about mid day on the way back (driving down Drakeford Drive) I saw a Aust. Hobby take a dive and alight on the first tree in the median strip up from the corner of Drakeford / Boddington / Marconi, in Kambah. I parked on the median strip and watched it pulling apart some little bird that I couldn't identify (it was holding it on the side of the branch away from me). There was a profuse spray of feathers but too windy to be able to find enough to identify whatever the prey was. The bird I was watching did not take any of the prey to either nest but after it finished eating, it flew across to the second tree and perched under the nest they used last year. After watching this, I looked up at the nest at the top of that first tree and saw the tail (only) of what I believe was another Hobby sitting in that nest. I haven't seen them much this year but it looks like they are there again. (I don't go past there as often as I did last summer).