canberrabirds

White-winged raven

To: "Chris Davey" <>, <>
Subject: White-winged raven
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:33:03 +1100
Hi Chris,

I wrote several times to this list of the one Australian Raven that started nesting (with a partner) in the tree in my yard this year. It had I think three inner primaries on the right wing completely white. The pair decided to move to another tree about 100 M away and built a new nest there. I found the adult with the white feathers freshly dead under a power pole just over the fence from the nest tree a few weeks later. I think they had eggs or young chicks but I could not get close to the nest. About a month ago I took a friend up to Telstra Tower and there found another adult Australian Raven with the same strange "defect", two or three inner primaries on the right wing completely white. Possibly the young bird you describe is related to the adult I saw at the Telstra Tower. (For those not from Canberra, Telstra Tower is at the top of Black Mountain but Kambah (where I am is about 20 km away).