canberrabirds

Koel

To: <>
Subject: Koel
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:07 +1100
A couple years ago when one (calling Koel) was at Queanbeyan I heard suggestions to remove the tree it calls from (not just the bird). I am pleased to have put in my 21 Year GBS Report in the text for this species - the following bits in bold. The first comment is clearly borne out by recent comments(although the talk now is of avoidance!) I wonder if  the second point is still true, i.e. nearly all local records are within suburban Canberra (or is this because few of us camp out locally). There doesn't appear to be any at southside of Canberra now, either.

Common Koel Eudynamys scolopacea

This cuckoo has arrived here increasingly in recent years, 48 of the 71 records were in Years 18 to 21, including many with repeat observations and some of two birds. Records are overstated a bit as one noisy male can be widely recorded. Their call is loud, far-carrying and distinctive and observers seek them out when told they have been noted nearby, so many observations are from the bird heard calling. Maller & Jones (2001) in Brisbane found a temporal pattern to their calling which will impact on recording rate. Seasonal pattern is very clear, arrive in October, build to a December peak then decline, last observed in February. They seem to inhabit only the suburbs locally and are the only species recorded in the GBS not to be recorded in bush areas around Canberra (except twice, COG Atlas & 1999-2000 ABR). They are probably attracted by fruit, that is not available in woodlands. No breeding records - yet.
Graphs on page: 95, Rank: 104, A = 0.00298, F = 6.12%, W = 3.6, R = 0.279%, G = 1.07.