canberrabirds

Disapointment with Canberra Times

To: <>
Subject: Disapointment with Canberra Times
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:11:12 +1100
Come now Benj,

"few canberrans could name any animal or plant species, except perhaps for snakes and spiders" That is a bit extreme, surely 95% could come at "kangaroo" if not Eastern Grey Kangaroo, Platypus, Echidna, Brush-tailed Possum, Wombat if not Common Wombat, Blue-tongued Lizard / Skink and no doubt several others. Also many could pick several of the major native plants to genus level. Let's face it, getting to know all the native plants to species level is pretty difficult.

As for: "I was very disappointed by a workshop organised by Env ACT and others held last night on Landscaping Canberra Gardens, which had no speakers on native plants, that I could tell. Few Indigenous plants are included on Env ACT's list of recommended plant species for Canberra gardens." If so, that is a terrible situation. One of the good or redeeming features of "Birds of Canberra Gardens" is pages 91-94 (a part that I had nil involvement in) about "Some recommended plants".

As for how much Canberrans know of our animals, I was amused and disappointed to find recently that not only Aquila helicopter services but also the Ngunnawal Aboriginal Corporation, use the (American) Bald Eagle as their emblem. I have set them both straight and both have suggested they would change it when they have the opportunity.