canberrabirds

January COG quiz

To: Cog line <>
Subject: January COG quiz
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:42:48 +1100
Hi there. You may have already read in the new Gang Gang that January's meeting will comprise a quiz, which I'm organising (it obviously couldn't be better than Mark's classics, but it will be different). Since the GG notice invites people to contact me about it, and a couple have already done so, I thought I might attempt a sort of FAQ here to save you having to ask. It will be nice if we can give our hard-working committee as much of a night off as possible!

Especially given the time of year, my priorities for the night are that it will be, in order:
   1. Fun
   2. Hopefully informative, and
   79. Competitive.
Several things flow from that. For instance there may or may not be prizes, which may or may not be for the 'winning' team. While the questions will obviously be bird-oriented, and some will be 'straight' bird knowledge, others focus on other ways in which we think about birds - say in music or literature - and some might require some lateral thinking. In other words much of it may require 'team knowledge'. AND you won't be up against any gun teams, because as you arrive you'll be assigned randomly to a table, at each of which there will be at least one experienced COGer (assuming they come of course!). So, please don't stay away just because you're afraid you don't know enough! (On the other hand, if you only come to quiz nights to be serious, to show off your knowledge of retrices and lekkism and to WIN, you might be happier to stay home this time and take in 'HANZAAB; the movie', which I believe is showing that night.)

And some requests, if I may. PLEASE REPLY OFF-LINE - thanks.
* If you have images on the COG site which you'd be willing to let me use on the night, can you let me know? * If you don't want to take part but would like to help, I could do with a few markers etc. * I'm not against prizes, so if you'd like to donate something - small and silly is fine too! - that would be good. * Finally, while you don't need to book it would make it easier if we have an idea of how many are intending to come to decide how many tables to set up.

Thanks for your patience and hope to hear from you and see you there.

Now get back to the birding!

cheers

Ian

---
Ian Fraser,
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Wordsmithing
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 61 2 6249 1560  fax: 61 2 6247 3227
---