canberrabirds

RFI nightly birdsong in Narrabundah

Subject: RFI nightly birdsong in Narrabundah
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:03:11 +1100
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:47:14PM +1100, Jochen Brocks wrote:
>    However, the target bird must have heard that, too, and it became
>    reeeaaallly excited, calling lounder and faster. But why? Is it
>    calling for a mate or is this a territorial song? Or neither?

The study of Nightingales linked below suggests that their nocturnal song
is more intersexually-orientated than diurnal song.  So mate attraction
by an unmated male or a mated male signalling fitness to its mate might
be more likely than signalling to another male.

The Wily Wagtails arund here sing without moonlight but they have
illumination form street lights.  I've heard it said before they sing
with the moon but I've never seen any data.

I haven't discerned any differences between Wily Wagtail nocturnal and
diurnal song but I haven't listened carefully. The wav file does sound
atypical to me.

Andrew

http://pages.unibas.ch/pca/anim_behav2002.pdf