canberrabirds

Year of the Gallid

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, "David Rosalky" <>
Subject: Year of the Gallid
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:06:51 +1100
Hi Guys,

I think David was right. I believe the word ending "-id" applies only to the family taxon, not the order taxon. Hint as to why, all family names end in "idae", hence the "id", whereas all order names end in "iformes". So the word Gallid is incorrect. Therefore, chickens, quails, pheasants, etc. are members of the family Phasianidae, which is a subset of the order Galliformes. So therefore they are Phasianids, and all Phasianids are Galliformes. Other families of Galliformes appear to be Meleagrididae (Turkeys), Tetraonidae (Grouse), Numididae (Guineafowl) and Opisthocomidae (Hoatzin). Although, apart from the weird Hoatzin, I don't know what is so different about those non Phasianid Galliformes to put them in other families.