canberrabirds

Re: Diamond Firetail nest

To: "Ian Fraser" <>
Subject: Re: Diamond Firetail nest
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:02:47 +1100
Hi Ian,

I am curious about that. Surely small-flowered paper daisy is of the herb habit, i.e. low to the ground. I have only encountered their nests at about two to ten metres above ground (once even within the base of a current Little Eagle's nest). Beruldsen's old book says "at any height up to ten metres or more above ground' but strangely he also mentions that "Many nests are also decorated over the whole of the outside but particularly around the entrance tunnel with flowers, especially yellowish 'daisy'-like flowers". I don't actually recall having noticed that before. Immelmann's book doesn't mention it. Oh, on reading your note properly, you aren't describing where the nest was but what it is made of.  I am confused as to whether the issue is the height or using the flowers. Either way, they are among the most charming of our birds and so nice to have them nesting here.