canberrabirds

[UNCLASSIFIED] weekend highlights

Subject: [UNCLASSIFIED] weekend highlights
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:53:33 +1100
Benj,

I've seen the Leaden Flycatchers in the same spot on my last 3 visits to the Pinnacle (most recently this afternoon) and I strongly suspect they're nesting. I saw the male a few days ago flying around with a beakful of grubs, and today I watched him for a while and saw him fly into a tree, then both birds flew out a few seconds later. Didn't see a nest, but then I didn't look look too closely for fear of being too intrusive. All the while an O-B Oriole was calling from a stand of old gums just north of the path (was there last time, too). Also saw a Speckled Warbler being pursued/followed by a pair of Grey Fantails further down the hill to the east.

John Brannan

P.S. Which ones are the Donkey orchids?

Also went to Pinnacle at Hawker. In stringybark forest Leaden flycatchers were present, plus dusky woodswallows. Once again, many Donkey orchids in flower, some Swainsona sericea but they have mainly finished. This year seems very good for Donkey orchids.

Benj Whitworth

--
36 Challinor Cres., Florey, Canberra ACT 2615, Australia
Ph.: (+612) 6258 6038	Fax: (+612) 6258 6238