canberrabirds

A Raven's story and other pieds

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: A Raven's story and other pieds
From: "Michael and Janette" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:15:52 +1000
Just a comment to Philip's observations on Ravens and Currawongs.

Cool and wet weather is often detrimental for breeding events, this coupled with past drought years, no wonder that food may be scarce for a number of species. Pied Currawongs appear to be rather sensitive to cool and wet weather early in the breeding season as I have noticed in the past (Magpies are much better in coping with such weather conditions while nesting). I found this always rather surprising since the Pied Currawong was primarily a bird of the High Country where it should have encountered adverse weather conditions more often.

Philip's Raven brood is rather late, several urban and non-urban pairs have fledged young for several weeks already.

Michael Lenz