canberrabirds

Stoney Creek Nature Reserve Field Trip Report

To: <>
Subject: Stoney Creek Nature Reserve Field Trip Report
From: "kamprad" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:13:31 +1000

Stoney Creek Nature Reserve 19th October, 2005 Field Trip Report.
On a mild, overcast Wednesday morning 7 of us set out on a leisurely amble through the Stoney Creek Nature Reserve. This reserve is approximately 80 ha with a small parking area and gate located on the Captains Flat Road  4.5k from the Kings Highway. On the advice of a local cogger, Graeme Clifton, we set off on our amble in a vaguely anticlockwise direction. The most obvious bird of the day were Striated Pardalotes.  I believe we heard them calling throughout the entire walk. However as bird species were not plentiful we chased up bird calls and admired the beautiful display of bush flowers. Surprisingly an Australian King Parrot called and sure enough after a 5-10 minutes search we saw the red and green parrot flash through the trees. I had never seen one in the area and Graeme had seen only a few and then only in the spring migration time. Varied Sittellas were sighted as well as Buff Rumped, Yellow and Striated Thornbills. White Throated Tree Creepers were plentiful. During latter part of the walk we saw a good number of Leaden Flycatchers both male and female, a male Mistletoebird, a Sacred Kingfisher both Rufus and Golden Whistlers and several Olive Backed Orioles, one of which treated us to a fine mimic chorus. We saw 2 raptors, a Wedged Tailed Eagle and a Nankeen Kestrel.
There was plenty of nests. In the parking lot we could see 2 Magpie chicks in the nest and during the walk we had a nest building display by one of the plentiful Noisy Friarbirds. There were unoccupied nests of Wedged Tailed Eagle and possibly a Brown Goshawk.
The bird calls skills and persistence of our small group were needed to see the 35 species for the walk. Alex McLauchlan kindly shared his knowledge of wild flowers to add colour to the pleasant morning outing.
Julienne Kamprad
COG