canberrabirds

Water ski trial on LBG

To: <>
Subject: Water ski trial on LBG
From: "Andrea S Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:06:34 +1000
Jenny Bounds and I, together with Marg Peachey from the RSPCA, inspected the site of the proposed water ski trial on Thursday afternoon.

Though we have only a very poor map (the one published in Tuesday's Canberra Times seems to be the clearest) it is apparent+ that there have been some changes to the original proposal we discussed with the NCA on 2 August.  Not only has the location been moved several hundred metres to the west, it also seems to be reduced in scale.  Initially it was to be a 600 metre slalom course running parallel to the shore directly opposite the Boathouse Restaurant/Clare Holland Hospice and the adjacent boatramp (see map 59 in the Yellow Pages) with a turnaround as close as 60 metres from the eastern shores of East Basin (ie the W edge of Jerrabomberra wetlands).  The proposal now is for a 370 metres course starting approx mid way between the boat ramp and the car turning circle (see above map) and heading across the bay towards the N end of King's Ave Bridge.

Despite the launch of the Recreational Policy for LBG by the Minister for Territories on Monday morning information is difficult to come by.  For example this is not (nor an associated Press Release) on either his or the NCA web site, and the best source of info seems to be the C/T article and a short press release put out by the ACT Chief Minister, and the transcript of the interview on 666 ABC radio on Monday morning.  This confirms that it will be a 4 (rather than the 6 sought initially) month trial, mainly conducted on weekdays [though on up to 2 (of 4) weekends as well], and that only one boat will be allowed at the one time.  I also understand that it will involve a special boat type with a low noise and wake potential though are unable to confirm this.  Note too that it will be a slalom training course only for elite skiers.

Despite these changes there are still concerns, including about the welfare of birds.  A big one is the closed shop in which the discussions have been held, basically only with those with a "direct" interest in the lake (users forum).  COG had no further feedback from the NCA after we made our views clear early in August, and we did not hear about the launch until the ABC contacted the Conservation Council about its views 30 minutes before the policy was to be launched.  Another is that the environmental impact will be monitored during the trial, rather than in full before hand as we had advocated (the NCA appears to have no brief at all on the need to consult).  From the remarks made by the Minister and the images of him skiing on the lake, it is very easy to take the cynical view that it is all a "fait accompli", that the trial will be an overwhelming success, and it will be open slather from next year.  He certainly left the door open for that in his radio interview.

While COG will be writing to the NCA expressing our concerns about the lack of consultation and seeking the documents upon which it was determined an impact on birds will not be severe, there are some things that concerned COG members and other subscribers to this list can do.

1.  Write to the Canberra Times or preferably the Territories Minister Jim Lloyd (C/- Parliament House Canberra) expressing your concerns.  Do this in your own handwriting (or typing) choosing your own words using some of the issues expressed here (lack of community consultation, likely impact on birds, the need for at least one of the 3 basins to be reserved for passive recreation).  As I mentioned at the COG meeting the power of a few well crafted letters from concerned constituents as opposed to signing a form letter or petition is remarkable.  In his radio interview he claimed more people had written in support rather than against, I suspect very few people really knew what was going to happen.

2.  We are also looking for some members who are happy to do some monitoring of bird numbers along this stretch of the lake both before the trial starts next month and also during the ensuing trial.  This should be along the foreshore starting from the mouth of Molonglo Reach to close the King's Ave Bridge and can probably best be done in the form of a 500 metre area search to be compatible with the COG database (land birds numbers would also be very useful).  A fair bit of this has steep sides and therefore does not attract much loafing waterfowl, but there is also a sloping beach for about 200 metres or so W of the boat ramp which is much more attractive.  Waterbirds are also fed here by the public, increasing their numbers.

3.  Above all if you see anything that is beyond the bounds of the remit for the trial (such as two boats, general waterskiing or operating outside of the boundaries), please report it to the NCA (or write to the Minister, who alleges he wants to hear the views of the public) to register your complaint.

Jack Holland