canberrabirds

Whiskered tern and Painted Buttonquail - Fyshwick sewerage ponds

To: <>
Subject: Whiskered tern and Painted Buttonquail - Fyshwick sewerage ponds
From: <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:07:32 +1000
Sounds like a strange place for a Painted Buttonquail?

I've seen them in grassland before but never far from sclerophyll forest.

I was out there carp bashing last week and didn't see the Monkey Ducks that Marnix reported but there was at least one pair of Chestnut Teal and a Royal Spoonbill in breeding plumage.  Also White winged Trillers in the willows.  Thousands of carp in the shallow channels - I wonder if they displace the waterfowl, not just by competition, but also by their presence as there's never as many ducks as I would expect.

regards, Alex.