canberrabirds

Striated Woodpecker or Ivory Billed Pardalote

To: <>
Subject: Striated Woodpecker or Ivory Billed Pardalote
From: <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:15:27 +1000
I woke up this morning to the pair Rufous Whistlers that have been hanging around my place in Scullin for the past couple of days.  The only one I've seen close enough to distinguish was a female so I went out to have a look for the male and heard a strange pecking/knocking sound.

I looked up into the big old Applebox and eventually saw three Striated Pardalotes on a dead branch about as thick as your arm and maybe two metres long and another two birds on another dead branch of the same size just above it.  The birds were all pecking into the dead wood maybe to extract termites?  I've never seen, heard or read about this activity before so was a little surprised!  Without binos I couldn't determine if they were juveniles but there was a least one adult.  Maybe a male as the others all looked duller.  There were also more pardalotes flitting around other parts of that tree and the big blue gum right next to it.

cheers, Alex.