canberrabirds

Peregrines and people & Jenny & Jerry on TV

To: <>
Subject: Peregrines and people & Jenny & Jerry on TV
From: "Martin and Frances" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:39:51 -0400
I disagree with the comment that there is very little potential in beautiful downtown Manhattan for disturbance of the birds at "close range".  On a Summer day there are thousands of people walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, directly under the nest site - perhaps 30m below it.  Also 8 lanes of New York traffic a few feet further down. Add to this the noise of sirens and ghetto blasters, flashing lights from neon signs, unsilenced speedboats and helicopters zapping down the East River and the myriad other components of day to day life in a huge city and the sensory overload is pronounced.

Further, judging by the way a huge peregrine didn't veer 1 degree off course as it zapped past a group of 30 birders (excitedly jumping up and down at the sight) at Jamaica Bay a couple of weekends back they don't seem to be particularly worried about human shapes per se.

From what I know of the cliffs along the Molonglo no houses could be built closer to falcon nest sites than the walkway of the Brooklyn Bridge is to the nest on the tower there.  Houses on the opposite side of the Molonglo would be much further away.  I would suspect that a Canberra suburb - even in peak leaf blower season - would be quieter and have less obvious signs of human activity than the Brooklyn Bridge environs at any time of any day (except possibly 3am during a blizzard).

If the problem is people deliberately getting extremely close to the nest (what distance is this - 10m? - the red-tails nest on 5th Avenue is a lot closer than this to people's windows and patios) then some of the chain link fences beloved of the ACT Government would seem to be one solution.

I'd stress that I am not arguing for the housing to be built: I'd like to see the population of Canberra frozen!

Martin