canberrabirds

Peregrines and people & Jenny & Jerry on TV

To: <>
Subject: Peregrines and people & Jenny & Jerry on TV
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 18:21:44 +1000
Hi All,

On I think Wednesday night (or maybe Thursday) ABC TV 7.00 p.m. news there was a good segment with Jenny Bounds, Jerry Olsen and others, telling the story of the raptor conservation issues in the Molonglo area. Good to see the issue getting that sort of attention and well done to those on it. It was pretty much in line with Esteban's talk to COG in August. It also had brief film of some raptors. Nobody has mentioned this on this cog line and I don't understand this. I wish people doing promotional things like this would let us know, as I would have been sorry if I had missed it, which I didn't, but not because I was looking out for it. Surely that is what this e-mail list is for (among other things).

As for the comment from Martin below, I suggest he has missed the point. There is a big difference between houses and tall buildings. Peregrines are sensitive to disturbance. Houses deny habitat for Peregrines but tall buildings don't necessarily do so, instead they can provide a new habitat. I understand that the proposals for development are for housing, not for tall buildings. With tall buildings, there is very little potential for disturbance of the birds by people at close range. The people are safely locked away inside the buildings and the birds are not impacted by them. The birds probably don't even see or recognise people inside, as what they are. The surroundings resemble cliff habitat and there are many pigeons and starlings for food. That is enough for the birds.