canberrabirds

Re: black shouldered kites/barn owl

To: <>, "William Compston" <>
Subject: Re: black shouldered kites/barn owl
From: "Andrea S Holland" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:39:47 +1000
There still seem to be plenty of B Sh Kites about despite the drop in mice numbers (round our place at least). Saw one hovering early (about 7.20 am) along the Cotter Rd near the RSPCA this morning. I have regularly seen them (4 is not uncommon and 5 birds twice) on Cooleman Ridge or the former Narrabundah Hill pine plantation. On one occasion last month there were 3 very vocal juveniles with very orange heads, indicative of being fledged relatively recently.

A barn owl was being pursued by all manner of birds round the John Gorton Building in Parkes on Tuesday morning. I only got a brief look as this very light bird flew into a window, and then dropped out of sight and couldn't be located again when I went outside to find it.

Jack Holland