canberrabirds

where are the superb parrots?

To: "'Jochen Brocks'" <>, <>
Subject: where are the superb parrots?
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:38:21 +1000

Jochen,

I previously sent this to the list from work, but it appears not to have been posted.

I was watching some Australian King-Parrots at the ANBG yesterday (Sunday) morning when I saw a flash of a lighter green. On closer inspection the lighter green belonged to a male Superb Parrot. This sighting was made in open forest in Section 88. I continued to see king Parrots and hear Superbs in close proximity and then saw my second male in the rainforest area. I was surprised on two fronts; firstly that the Superbs were obviously associating with the King-Parrots and secondly, having only previously seen Superb Parrots in open country, that the birds were to be found in such dense vegetation.

Cheers

Alastair