canberrabirds

Lake Ginninderra Peninsula: Collared Sparrowhawks

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Lake Ginninderra Peninsula: Collared Sparrowhawks
From: "Pedroanddi" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:37:20 +1000
Yesterday morning I went to the Diddams Cl picnic ground where we had seen the brown quail on the previous 3 occasions. We had no luck this time. At 9.30 when we arrived the maintenance crew were at work and when we returned from our walk at 11.00 the area had been turned into an off lead dog exercise area.

We did see one collared sparrow hawk near the picnic area and an overhead intermediate egret.

Regards
Peter Mellor

I have seen a pair of Collared Sparrowhawks not far from there recently. Off Croke Pl (off William Webb Dr) across Ginninderra Dr from the lake.

Cheers
Marnix

"Geoffrey Dabb" <>

30/05/2005 02:16 PM

<>
cc
Subject
[canberrabirds] Lake Ginninderra Peninsula:  Collared Sparrowhawks
  Classification

I am most grateful to Peter Mellor for his helpful directions to the Brown
Quail spot.  However, despite my spending a couple of hours there, this
morning proved to be relatively quailless.  (I'd be interested to know
when/if they appear again, Peter.)

The main interest on the day was provided by 'some' Collared Sparrowhawks.
>From frequent sightings, and hearing their calls, and the alarms calls of a
lot of other stuff, these were present and in hunting mode throughout the
time I was there.  I don't know the area at all but it looked to me like
core territory of a family group (pair and at least one young).  As it
hasn't been reported as such, I assume they were either on migration or had
temporarily resorted to the area in the course of seasonal movement.  I note
in HANZAB that Brown Quail is a recorded food item of this species.

Young and adult female below

Geoffrey Dabb
email    :
ph/fax   :   02 6295 3449

[attachment "Collared Sparrowhawks 2.jpg" deleted by Marnix Zwankhuizen/ACT/AEC]