canberrabirds

Black shouldered kites

To: <>
Subject: Black shouldered kites
From: "Marg Millard" <>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:36:18 +1000
Hi there

Have just joined the list and this is my first post. Wanted to let you know about some black shouldered kites that appear to be resident in the former Duffy pine forest (Narrabundah Hill), which my partner and I now call 'Duffy paddocks' .

We first noticed the kites back in September 2004 when I started taking notes. From a novice's perspective and with the help of a range of reference books, we identified two adults and what we described as a juvenile and another with down.

We continued to see adult birds every time we went walking through December and January, and began to notice the nesting behaviour in early February. We only managed intermittent walks during February but saw one or both adult birds on every occasion.

Then, in February this year, they were definitely exhibiting breeding behaviour. On 9 Feb we saw them carrying what looked like nest-building material and then on 25 Feb noted one of them flying to the top of a large gum tree where it looked to be flying into a nest. Unfortunately, we never spotted the nest because of distance and thick foliage.

We resumed our morning walks last week and on 26 April were tremendously excited to find that we now have four kites where once there were two! Isn't this wonderful?

Cheers
Marg Millard