canberrabirds

Swift Parrots at Majura NP

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Majura NP
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:02:40 +1000
Although I've only been there 5 times, I think, I've clocked up a few hours (4 this morning, 0830-1230).  Following is a summary drawing on my obs and others' reports.  Feel free to correct me.

(1) SPs at Majura were first reported by Nicki on 12 March.  They have been around ever since, apparently increasing in numbers.  A number of about 60 has been reported several times recently.  Jenny's report today of 67 is the highest estimate so far.

(2) A large number of these birds are juveniles, perhaps about half.  (An indication of these is the lack of red in the tail and on the shoulder.  However the crimson wing-bend can sometimes be concealed when overlapped by the feathers on the side of the upper breast.  A yellow-orange iris is a reliable sign of an adult bird.)

(3)  They have been observed feeding on insects and flowers, mainly the latter.  Trees used are Apple and Yellow Box.  More recently they are taking advantage of the later-flowering Bundy, a good example being the large tree at the inlet to the gully from the tank-overflow.  They have also used Silver Wattle.

(4)  Inter-actions with Noisy Miners have been variously reported.  My own observations are that those 2 species will feed or perch in proximity and do not react strongly to one another.  Perhaps this has varied over the period.  However there is strong interaction with P Currawongs.  The Currawongs will fly at or towards SPs which are quick to retreat from them, sometimes a large aggregation being put to flight simultaneously.  This seems to be 'play' on the part of the currawongs, and is most noticeable early in the morning when the currawongs are most numerous and active and the SPs most unsettled.

(5)  The SPs drink at intervals througjhout the day from the tank overflow, sometimes a dozen at a time.  However not all birds drink, some do so very briefly, and an occasional one for a longer period.  The extent to which they need water is not clear to me.  They are nervous drinkers but do not come to water more frequently than the rosellas.  SPs seen low down <2m are probably wanting to drink.

(6)  Overall pattern of movement is difficult to monitor because of the area that they cover, but on the assumption there are 60-70 birds there are busy periods (all active sometimes in 2 or even one large group(s)) and quiet periods (birds dispersed into smaller resting groups, with just singles or up to 5 or so flying around).