canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration and outing 10 April

Subject: Honeyeater migration and outing 10 April
From: (Nicki Taws)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:53:50 +1000
Today being a "perfect" honeyeater migration day, I headed down to Smiths Rd
and Angle Crossing to check out the situation before this Sunday's outing. In
the last 12 months Ingledene pine forest has been clearfelled and I feared this
would greatly affect the superb honeyeater migration viewing point on the road
down to Angle Crossing.

On Smiths Rd I noticed a few flocks of honeyeaters crossing the road and then
stopped at the northern edge of the former plantation at a point with bushland
on the west side of the road and a string of trees heading eastward towards the
Murrumbidgee corridor. Here things were really happening and I counted 1400
honeyeaters in 20mins. This was almost certainly an underestimate as the birds
were flying low overhead and were spread too wide to see them all. This is a
similar number of birds/hour to that counted at Angle crossing on a good day -
so this might become our new outing destination. Mostly Yellow-faced,
occasional White-naped, quite a few Spotted Pardalotes and Silvereyes mixed in.
But no exciting Peregrine fly-pasts.

If you'd like to come on the outing this Sunday 10 April, I think the weather
could be favourable (dry and sunny, hopefully not too windy). Meet at the
Tharwa bridge, west end, at 8.30am (not 8.00 as Jack mentioned in an earlier
email). If you're late and miss us, drive along Smiths Rd and you should find
us.
--
Nicki Taws
6251 0303