canberrabirds

The Search for the Black Honeyeater

Subject: The Search for the Black Honeyeater
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:54:21 +1100
Benj and I drove north to the Cowra area on Sunday. Our first stop Morongla Cemetery. There was no sign of a Black Honeyeater. None of the Grey Box were in flower and we couldnt find any mistletoe so dont know why a Black Honeyeater would visit this site. Birds of interest there were a family of 4 Crested Shrike-tit (2 of the birds were begging, probably this season's prodigy) and several Peaceful Doves.

A stop at Cowra Sewage Ponds revealed 14 White-faced Herons and at least 2 Pink-eared Ducks. There were also many ducks and ibis there. The nearby Lachlan River had a Great Egret. Over Bellevue Hill Reserve we could hear Rainbow Bee-eaters migrating.

At Cowra Agricultural Research Station we saw a Brown Goshawk. We then headed to Conimbla National Park, where neither of us had been before. On the way a dam had a pair of Australian Shovelers and Hoary-headed Grebes. In the adjacent fields we counted well over 70 Little Ravens and a Pied Butcherbird.

We found a great little site (only a couple of hectares) with a sign stating it was a 'Native Seed Orchard'. Here among the Calltris, native Stipa grasses and eucalypts were Rainbow Bee-eater, Yellow Robin, 6 Grey-crowned Babbler, 3 Crested Shrike-tit (1 a begging juvenile), a Brown Treecreeper, 2 Little Friarbirds and a Jacky Winter.

Arriving at Conimbla NP we set off through dense scrub (mostly leptospermum and cassinia) and ironbark-callitris forest. Here we first heard and then squeaked out a pair of Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens. Other birds here included many Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, Peaceful Doves, Western Gerygone, Brown Treecreeper, Dusky Woodswallow, 2 Little Lorikeets (flew over), Speckled Warbler, Grey Butcherbird and many Fuscous Honeyeater, and the only reptile of the day - a massive Bearded Dragon.

Then our last stop for the day in the Ilunie Ranges, where we walked along a well vegetated track and hit an unbelievable hotspot. In the general area we had a tally of over 40 species. The highlights included repeated close up views of a pair of Turquoise Parrots, at least 14 Diamond Firetails, Benj saw a light morph White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, I saw a White-fronted Chat, we both watched a pair of Black-chinned Honeyeaters feeding in flowering mistletoe, some 3 Little Lorikeets thrilled us with a fly over every so often, a male Hooded Robin, large numbers of Rainbow Bee-eaters and a Restless Flycatcher. Other birds included Woodswallows, Peaceful Doves, several White-browed Babbler groups, many Little Friarbirds and some 50 Tree Martins. At one point we saw a bird fly from some mistletoe into a dead gum. At first we thought it was a Black Honeyeater, but then noticed the short bill and decided it was another male Hooded Robin.
Then I spotted a small mammal which turned out to be a Yellow-footed Antechinus. It scurried about its business, stopping at one point to peer at me half hidden from behind a tree stump in a very cute fashion.

On the drive home we found a group of 5 Apostlebirds along Cucumgilliga Rd. Although we didnt end up seeing the Black Honeyeater we were pretty pleased with what we did see.

Cheers
Marnix

Are you right for each other? Find out with our Love Calculator ******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> To contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email <>.