canberrabirds

YTBC & startled chickadee in Holt

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: YTBC & startled chickadee in Holt
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:02:02 +1100
At 5:10 pm today, I was stationary at the lights at the intersection of Southern Cross / Kingsford Smith Drives when a lone Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo flew slowly across the intersection. Yes, they usually appear to fly slowly, but this poor bird gave me the impression that all was not well. Its flight appeared laboured, and it was no more than four metres above the fairly busy roads. It approached a phone line, and looked set to land but, at the last second, aborted the landing, dropped and executed a very clumsy landing on some tall, thick garden shrubbery. Immediately, it appeared to lose its footing and fell into the foliage.

When I arrived home, I changed into my shorts, got on my bicycle and rode back to where I saw the cocky land - about a seven minute ride. I stopped, put my hands on the top of the fence and peeked into the bushes but didn't see a cockatoo. There was, however, a young, bikini-clad lady watering the garden.

"Excuse me," I said, "I saw a black cockatoo land in your shrubs about 15 minutes ago, it looked like it might have been injured. Did you happen to see it?"

"No!" she shrieked, her eyes as big as saucers.

"Sorry," I said, "Didn't mean to startle you. I'm a bird watcher."

She continued to glare at me as if I was contemplating home invasion. So, I bid her good evening and decamped. I thought I looked pretty cool and innocuous in my US Marines baseball cap, (which my daughter had bought for me in a souvenir shop, mind you) aviator sunglasses and three-days growth of grey whiskers.

Anyhow, I hope the cockatoo in the shrubbery, and the chickadee in the bikini, are feeling much better now. And that, folks, is a true story.

Cheers

John Layton. Innocuous bird watcher of Holt.