canberrabirds

Swift Parrots

Subject: Swift Parrots
From: Debbie Saunders <>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:46:42 +1100

The Swift Parrots were still at Mt Majura at 5pm on Saturday, in the same areas as where Nicki saw them, but they were silent until they took off and flew through the canopy with soft calling. A revisit again on sunday morning didn't reveal them again but they could have easily been there and just been quiet. As Nicki mentioned the Apple box was in flower, as were the Scribbly Gum and the odd Yellow Box. There were also plenty of lerps on some of the trees so they may have been feeding on those too. A raptor in the area on sunday set off the usual Noisy Miner alarm calls as well as a flock of rainbow bee eaters that were otherwise silent too. Great to hear that Swifties were also recorded at Campbell Park again and using woodlands in the ACT in addition to the more suburban haunts they have been found in recently.
Cheers Deb