canberrabirds

Pardalotes

To: Barbara Preston <>
Subject: Pardalotes
From: wendy <>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:58:03 +1100
Hi Barbara and welcome - I have observed the behaviour you describe with pardalotes in our garden in Kambah, when they were tunnelling into our earth bank to nest - unfortunately the tunnel collapsed after some bad weather so they didn't raise a family.

I understand the joy birds can add to a home office because my balcony bird feeder in Thredbo is visible over my laptop and I agree they are sometimes a real distraction, especially when the ravens stage a sit in which prevents the rosellas from feeding (their food is under a milk crate which the ravens can't get into, although they manage to drag the bowl close enough to the inside edge of the milk crate to get at the seed).

Also, many years ago in Sydney, we had pardaolotes nesting in a clay bank under a house in Berowra Heights for about five years, using the same nest - they used to raise a couple of families a year and were so tame (or unaware of us, not sure which) that one landed on my shoulder one day on the way into his nest.

cheers and enjoy the list, Wendy

This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> To contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email <>.