canberrabirds

Pardalotes

To: <>
Subject: Pardalotes
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:49:18 +1100
Hi all
I've just joined the list -  this is what prompted me:
I have an upstairs home office with floor-to-ceiling glass and a rangy hakea just outside (happy feeding for gang gangs, crimson rosellas, king parrots, etc, and for a few years crested pigeons nested, laying over that period around ten pairs of eggs - mostly I just observed a currawong feeding factory in operation, but a few of the youngsters seemed to get away).
To the point: a pair of spotted pardlotes spend much time in the hakea. There are often pardalotes around (a couple of eucalypts with lots of lerps within a few metres, etc). But this is different. The male has spent many hours every day (both in the morning, when he would be in the sun, and in the afternoon) for quite a few weeks on the small branches just outside the windows, mostly appearing to be inspecting my office through the glass. He looks to me to be doing what our poor resident male magpie-lark spends so much time doing - battling his rival in the glass. The pardalote does not fly into the glass (intentionally), but does appear to bristle and spread and stretch wings downward (there must be a term for this?), and sometimes swoops towards the glass then back to his perch. Sometimes there is a third pardalote with the pair (same colouring as female, little smaller - I have only seen it a couple of times) - perhaps they have a nearby nest in a crack in the building.
Any thoughts? Whatever is going on, it's beautifully companionable for me while I work at my computer (I see him just above or to the side of my monitor) - though a bit distracting.
cheers
Barbara Preston
__________________________________
Barbara Preston Research
ABN: 18 142 854 599
21 Boobialla Street
O'Connor  ACT  2602
AUSTRALIA
Phone: 02 6247 8919
Fax: 02 6247 8779
Mob: 0439 47 8919
Email:
Executive member, Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE).
AARE welcomes as members education researchers, research students and supporters of education research.
The 2005 AARE Annual Conference will be held in Sydney, 27 November to 2  December.
For membership or conference information go to the website: www.aare.edu.au.
AARE Office: phone 03 5964 9031, email