canberrabirds

Pidgeon

Subject: Pidgeon
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:57:49 +1100 (EST)
Hmm, I'm not sure about Philip's correction of the
spelling of pidgeon. He doesn't like the 'd' but I do.
It is part of our language. Our history. Pigeon or
pidgeon. Both OK so far as I'm concerned. Though the
latter is not used in the official Christidis & Boles
cum Birds Australia 1994 list. I'm starting a campaign
to return the 'd' to pidgeon.  Anyone care to join in?

Some examples from the Oxford English Dictionary may
be of interest:

1588 SHAKES. L.L.L. V. i. 77 Thou halfpenny purse of
wit, thou *Pidgeon~egge of discretion.

1655 in M. M. Verney Mem. (1894) III. iv. 129
Madcap..brags..that she hath jeer'd you into good
*pidgeon pies. These were soe good that there is not
one left of them.

1721 AMHERST Terræ Fil. No. 41 (1754) 217 Built in the
form of pidgeon-pye, A house there is for rooks to lie
And roost in.

1779 J. WOODFORDE Diary 15 Apr. (1924) I. 249 We had
for dinner..a Pidgeon Pye.

I dunno about yous, but I've dined on Pidgeon Pie (or
similar) in Hanoi and did not enjoy it very much.
Still, it felt a bit like I was getting back at them

David

Subject: collared sparrowhawks

According to HANZAB, feral pigeon (no d) weights are
from about 219 to 388 grams. This is a big range which
is not unexpected for a domestic (now feral) species.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com