canberrabirds

Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens and Glossy Black Cockatoos in Rob Roy NR

To: <>
Subject: Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens and Glossy Black Cockatoos in Rob Roy NR
From: "Alastair & Clare Smith" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:50:37 +1100

A number of people have asked about the specific location to the Heathwrens and glossies. Firstly though a reminder that you will need approval from ACT Parks to enter the reserve as you have to cross private property. Perhaps Ian Fraser can be more specific on who to contact as he alerted me to this requirement.

We entered the park from Haxton Place in Conder and walked up the gully behind the dam wall. We then found another gully to the left of this dry creek bed and followed this. The exact location is 35 28 45S / 149 07 10E. A cherry ballart marks the spot and the C-R H seems to have some fidelity to this tree.

If you follow the GPS landmark you will find the birds, though unfortunately I cannot be more explicit with my directions as we didn’t have a map and wandered about as you tend to do while birdwatching. On the hillside on the southern? side of the creek bed is a stand of casuarinas and this was where we heard and saw the glossies.

Cheers and good luck

Alastair

Alastair & Clare Smith" <>

13/02/2005 11:54 AM

<>

cc

Subject

[canberrabirds] Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens and Glossy Black Cockatoos in Rob Roy NR

  Classification

This morning Michael Wright and Ifollowed the advice of Marnix Zand visited Rob Roy Nature Reserve near Conder. While themorningwas cool and the birdingalittleslow, thesighting ofaChestnut-rumpedHeathwrenandat leastone pair of Glossy Black-Cockatoos more than made up for the lack of birddiversity.TheChestnut-rumpedHeathwrenwasinitially heard byMichael and it wasour reason forvisiting the NR.A little laterI had excellent viewsof the bird, which wasa lifer for me;madeall thebettertoo,for seeing it in the COG AO.

Regards
Alastair