canberrabirds

Parasites on a Welcome Swallow

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Parasites on a Welcome Swallow
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:10:57 +1100
Hi all,

At 1:00 pm today, I was driving along Parkwood Road, near the Belconnen golf course, when about six small birds swooped across in front of me, about a metre above the road. Unfortunately, Splat! I hit one.

I stopped and extracted a dead Welcome Swallow from the grille. I parted the breast feathers and promptly dropped it because there were several little creepy-crawly critters ranging through the plumage, close to the skin.

Then I parted the plumage with the blade of my pocket knife and inspected about four creepie-crawlies. They were quite flat things, probably less than a millimetre thick. They were of roundish shape, about three millimetres in diameter and light brown.

I went to the console box where I usually keep plastic bags and elastic bands. Occasionally, I pick up a freshly-killed bird on the road, pop it into a plastic bag, stick it in the freezer and phone CSIRO to see if they would like to have it.

But when I got there, the box was bare, so I left the swallow in the roadside weeds. No doubt it will provide sustenance for the local ants. Normally, I don't mind sharing the cab with a fresh road-kill, but I needed a plastic bag in this instance because I didn't want the creepies crawling about in the seat covers. Sometimes, if a road-kill isn't leaky, you can wrap it in several sheets of The Canberra Times. To this end, I hope The Times retains its broadsheet format.

OK, so are there any experts on avian ectoparasites out there?

Bye
John K. Layton.