canberrabirds

Pigeons

To: "martin butterfield" <>, "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Pigeons
From: "Andrea S Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:55:51 +1100
Martin - from my observations there is no doubt that the fires have advantaged the crested pigeon.  They are spread right across the former pine forest and Cooleman Ridge and I regularly see 15 or more together but 68 certainly takes the cake.

One reason for their success is that they are such prolific round the year breeders.  When the tree/shrub in my neighbour's place in which they were nesting was removed (with a bird on the nest), it was only a temporary setback for the pair breeding - they promptly moved to a nearby shrub where they have just raised their second lot of chicks.  One bird was already back on the nest when the pair (about 2 weeks out) were being fed today!

Jack Holland