canberrabirds

Darter/Cormorant breeding

To: <>
Subject: Darter/Cormorant breeding
From: "Andrea S Holland" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:01:36 +1100
If there is sufficient interest I'm proposing a trip to view the extensive cormorant nesting on the eastern side of Black Mountain Peninsula (see February Gang-gang) this Sunday morning.

My aim will be to move close very slowly so we can get a much better estimate of the number of nests.

The need for this has been underlined by learning last week of the proposal by the ACT Water Ski Association to trial a water ski training facility at this very spot in the late spring of 2005.

In my view it is very likely that this breeding spot, which is assuming regional importance, will be severely impacted by this proposal if it goes ahead.

If you are interested in joining please let me know.  We will be travelling in the electric boat leaving at 7:30 or 8 am for 1.5 hours at a cost of $15 per person.

I know this clashes with the official COG camp-out at Saltwater Creek.  I've always been very reluctant to provide choice in COG trips, but I will have limited opportunities to look at Black Mountain Peninsula over the next month.

If you would have liked to join in but will be camping (or otherwise unable) please let me know?

Another possibility is the "Chicken and Champagne" trip up the Molonglo at 5:30 pm if there is sufficient interest.  Jim the skipper tells me there are even more darters nesting there now than were in January.  He also tells me a darter has started to nest on one of the little islets off Aspen Island (Carillon).  Does this signify the start of a third breeding site?

I will also raise both possibilities at the COG meeting on Wed night.

Jack Holland

PS  In case you missed it, an excerpt from the write up for the January trip to Black Mountain Peninsula follows:

Our first objective was to check for darter/cormorant breeding in the willows etc along the eastern bank of Black Mountain Peninsula.  This is a relatively new breeding spot for these species, and a check by Jim the skipper in November had indicated it was at a much lower level compared with Molonglo Reach.  However, this was not the case by mid-January, in fact the level of breeding activity rivalled the more traditional spot.

Initially a group of up to 12 Little Pied Cormorant nests were seen close to the entrance to Sullivan's Creek.  This was dwarfed by the extent of breeding further down round about the start of Gary Owen Drive where there were "wall to wall" nests and several apartment blocks over a couple of 100 metres.  Most of these were either Little Pied or Little Black Cormorants, all of which were very quick to take flight making estimates of the number of nests and their stages difficult for the at least 50 birds present of each species.  However, at least one nest contained 3 lovely dark downy young of the latter.

Scattered amongst these were at least half a dozen Darter nests with breeding at all stages, some with a parent (male or female) sitting tight, a couple of nests with large but still very downy young, and
several juveniles sitting a metre or so out of the nest.  A bit further down were 2 more Darter nests, with in one case a very young chick with its neck spiralling in typical fashion towards the sitting parent.  Of
the 15 or so Darters, 4 were males in breeding plumage.