canberrabirds

California Quail

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: California Quail
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:55:14 +1100
Hi all

On Sunday 6 February, Samantha, my daughter, went for a walk around Lake Ginninderra. Upon reaching the western end of the dam, she turned south-easterly intending to check the casaurinas for Nankeen Night Herons. As she walked towards a clump of eucalyptus trees and acacia shrubs, she saw a male California Quail standing about 25 metres away, beneath the trees. She watched through her binos for some 30 seconds. Then, as she crept towards it, the bird scuttled away and, although she searched for 10 minutes, couldn't find it again.

Sam is 22 and a keen birder. She's observed California Quail in the wild in southern California during 2003/04. So, if Ms. Sam says it was a California Quail, you can bet your bird books it was.

And, Barbara Allan, I guess this warrants a rare bird report?

We went for a slow walk around L. Ginn this morning and recorded 38 species. We watched an Olive-backed Oriole catch, bash and eat a caterpillar (c. 2.5 cm long). The oriole was in immature plumage with a dark, rather than reddish bill. I was surprised by the number of Little Pied Cormorants we saw. Probably, about 60. I try to keep my estimates on the conservative side. Most of them appeared to be fishing. So, there must be plenty of fish in the lake. Yeah, lots of fish. Sorry, I shouldn't keep carping about it.

Had better go now.

Bye Bye

John.