canberrabirds

Tawny Frogmouths calling

Subject: Tawny Frogmouths calling
From: Muriel Brookield <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:03:40 +1100
Roger
The male when seeking a partner can start calling late afternoon, but is often unnoticed because of background noise. The call becomes seemingly more insistent in the evening when traffic is less.

Once he's found a mate, and the scrappy nest has eggs in it, they go very quiet, except for warning barking calls when possible predators come near.

They have almost inaudible domestic contact calls, and these are used frequently when there are young in the nest, and especially when they have fledged and are being taught how and where to hunt.

I have heard the oom-oom calls around the middle of the night, and shortly before dawn when they presumably are staking out a roosting place. This is in Cook, where they used to breed close to our place before the currawongs took over. There was a successful breeding event close to the bicycle path at Lyttleton Crescent this year, but I have no idea where they all are now. The moon in my opinion had nothing to do with the birds' urgent needs which were noteworthy from August onwards.

Hopefully others can tell you where TFs are visible now.

Good luck

Muriel

This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> To contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email <>.