canberrabirds

compact field guide

To: <>
Subject: compact field guide
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:02:46 +1100

Happy New Year to all cog-l subscribers!

I received a copy of the compact Morecombe Field Guide for Christmas and I am very impressed with sheer volume of information contained in what is a pocket sized guide. As a birder who previously carried Slater in the field (because of its size), I always felt the need to have a second field guide handy because of the limited information and poor distribution maps in the Slater guide. I also felt gypped when the supposed ‘revised & updated’ edition of Slater was released in 2003 and found that basic things had not been updated such as gerygones still bearing the name warblers.

I particularly like the ease of finding family groups and the pictures of all related illustrated table. I think that Michael’s drawings are particularly suited to the smaller format.

The compact Morecombe has certainly become my ‘field’ guide of choice.

Cheers

Alastair