canberrabirds

Koels for Newcastle & Fig Parrots in Maleny& Bellthorpe

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Koels for Newcastle & Fig Parrots in Maleny& Bellthorpe
From: "Julienne Kamprad" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:02:42 +1100
Geoffrey
My sister lives at Bellthorpe not far from Maleny. My family was impressed when I asked if they had seen Cox's Fig Parrots. There had recently been a local program started 'to be on the look out for the Cox's Parrot(Double-eyed Fig-parrot , race coxeni)'. It was not my superior knowledge but Pizzey & Knight's field guide in which I had looked to see what birds I might find. I have seen some beautiful birds in the area on the few occasions I have had to go birding while visiting my relatives.

On the subject of Koels. I do go to Newcastle to see them. My aged parents-in-law live at Nth Lambton. Koels are often in the suburb. I have also seen and heard the Channeled Billed Cuckoo from the front veranda. There are some good local bird spots. A wonderful respite for us at times.
Julienne