canberrabirds

small button quail sp -Uriarra Forest

To: <>
Subject: small button quail sp -Uriarra Forest
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:24:30 +1100
Hi all

A bit belated but this is the first time I've been near a computer for a few days. Have been doing some mammal survey work in the burnt pine areas, on Friday am in Uriarra Forest flushed 2 quail which I suspect were either Little or Red-chested Button Quail. They were noticeably smaller that Brown or Stubble (both of which are present at the site, Stubble in good numbers) with weaker, rather fluttering flight. They also appeared to have unstreaked underparts, so were probably not juvenile Brown or Stubble. Views were very brief but clear, upperparts looked uniform and there appeared to be a reddish tinge to the flanks, making Red-chested the more likely option. Little BQ should have contrast between dark flight feathers and paler back. However, I stress I saw them so fleetingly that I can't be certain of the id. Despite a concerted effort by two of us to flush them again we had no luck, had another brief look this am with no result. Incidentally the 'forest' is currently a forest of blackberries and exotic grasses with a few native things such as Milkmaid lilies for variety.

If anyone wants to have a look the site is on Blue Range Rd (signposted off Brindabella Rd on the right past Warks Rd). Drive up for about 700 metres from Brindabella Rd, you should see 2 pieces of orange flagging tape low on the roadside vegetation, near a large fallen dead tree. The quail were flushed about 20-30 metres downslope from the dead tree.

Cheers

Steve