birding-aus

Starlings

To: <>
Subject: Starlings
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 14:55:20 +1000

I thought I would describe the situation in Canberra with this little extract. Based on the results of COG’s Garden Bird Survey that has been running continuously since 1981. We have 39 years of survey data now. My 130 page book Canberra Birds: A Report on the first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey that summaries the first 21 years. There has not been any comprehensive analysis of the GBS since preparation and release of my book (only Annual Bird Reports that contain basic yearly updates). There are many other references to the starling in the book but this is just the main species text entry. In the early 1980s starling were such a prominent common species that the National Capital Development Commission commissioned COG to prepare a report analyzing this, with a view to controlling them. This was done by Crawford. In general terms starlings are no longer as common as years ago, in the last Annual Bird Report, they are the 8th most common on the list. Just in my own experience in the second half of the 1980s there was rarely a minute of daytime that I did not have starlings feeding on my back lawn and it was frequent to find large flocks anywhere around the city. It is now several years since I last saw even one starling in my yard and I don’t usually notice them more than a few times a week just in general travel around and not in big flocks now. Also of relevance is the activities of Canberra Indian Myna Action Group Inc. that have also included starlings see http://indianmynaaction.org.au/.

I don’t usually do this but here is the abundance graph of the species from my book.

Ref: Crawford, I. 1990, ‘Distribution and movements of post-breeding flocks of the Common Starling, Sturnus vulgaris Linn., in the Canberra area’, Unpublished 38 page report to COG & ACT Government.

Philip

THRUSHES AND STARLINGS

This group comprises two families, Muscicapidae: the two thrushes and Sturnidae: the starling and myna. One of these is a native species, that does not cope well with the suburban environment. The three introduced species are abundant and dominant influences on the local bird fauna. There is some basis for regarding these three species as pests that have a negative impact on native species. The Common Starling and Common Myna both compete with other species for nest hollows. Pell & Tidemann (1997 a & b) have reported on this aspect locally. What the GBS results suggest is that the large parrots have increased significantly over the 21-years. This is probably due to habitat change and increased food availability and in spite of the increase of the Common Myna. However the Eastern Rosella has not increased and the Red-rumped Parrot has decreased. The Common Starling has also decreased. These changes may be in part or wholly due to the increased Common Myna population.

(I have deleted the two thrushes in sending this extract.)

Common Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Overall our most common species on almost every year. It was the most common species for the first 16 years, thereafter having declined to fifth by Year 21. In the late 1980s, concern about the status of the Common Starling was sufficient for the ACT Government to engage COG in a survey of distribution and movements of its post-breeding flocks. The report of this study by Crawford (1990) lists locations of major feeding and roosting sites and discusses problems of monitoring and controlling this species. It highlights the population size at that time. It is clear that the Canberra population of this species has declined significantly since then, as also shown by the results of this study. Since then, although the species is still abundant, the huge congregations formerly found are now mostly replaced by flocks of less than 100 or even 50 birds. The monthly pattern is very regular with a fairly even broad peak in numbers from January to May. Then a smooth but dramatic drop to about half the numbers in October, followed by a rapid rise to the January peak. Available GBS and other data imply a link between the increase in the Common Myna population and the reduction in the Common Starling population. These data were not available ten years ago and Crawford (1990) did not mention them. Another likely cause for the decline of this species is the reduction in the preferred feeding habitat of large flocks of this species. The total area of grassland, such as sports and school grounds, that were regularly irrigated, has declined in recent years compared with the situation in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Also, numbers were disproportionately highest in Year 1 due to a survey bias. Flocks of over a thousand birds regularly roosted in a Pyracantha bush clump at Site 52. These trees were removed after that year and those big numbers did not occur again. When the numbers were recalculated without this site, then the A value was still highest that year but the reduction showed as smooth rather than dramatic. Numbers have decreased over the first nine years from A=25 to A=9.6, then showed a slight resurgence for the next four years. It then showed a sharper decline from Years 13 to 21. In recent years there appears to be a marked change in its distribution. It has declined more dramatically on the northern side of the city than on the south, thereby creating a marked difference that did not occur in early years. Nest building activities commence in July, peak in September and are finished by December. Nests with eggs or young commence in July, peak in October and are finished by January. Dependent young commence in September, peak in November and are finished by March. Duration of complete breeding event is about 14 to 17 weeks. There are often either second broods or more than one breeding event included in one breeding record.
Graphs on page: 105, Rank: 9, Breeding Rank: 5, A = 10.92630, F = 96.50%, W = 52.0, R = 71.241%, G = 15.34.

Common Myna Acridotheres tristis

This species has shown a dramatic rise in numbers, probably the biggest increase in population of any species. This has already been described (Gregory-Smith 1985, Davey 1991, Pell & Tidemann 1997b). It is not surprising that the monthly pattern is very similar to that of the Common Starling. Numbers are at their minimum in November, then rise rapidly to a peak in March then decline again from June to November. The fact that June abundance is higher than that of July (eleven months earlier), is most likely due to the steady population increase of the species. There was a 20 fold increase from Year 1 (A=0.23) to Year 21 (A=4.56). In Year 1 this bird was 37th in the list of abundance, it ranked fourth in Year 21. So for the first time it was in front of the Starling. This appears likely to be the major impact of the Common Myna on other species. The increase was initially quite slow and even, until the species became well established. It became dramatic from Year 6 onwards. The values of R and F (not shown here) have increased steadily. There is a geographical aspect to this spread. There were more records for the first nine years in southern Canberra (1.75% of all records in this zone were of this species), then central (0.9%), then northern suburbs (0.2%). This trend has reduced during the last 12 years. There is also an unfortunate bias operating, as has occurred in the past when observers failed to properly count Common Starlings, some observers are now failing to count this species. Undoubtedly both are under counted even though counts of this species of 30 or thereabouts are common. The Common Myna can have such a domineering manner that other species become harder to find and some observers even pull out of the GBS because they say, (stretching the truth) they “only get mynas now”. Inspecting hollows and nest building commences from August, though most activity at nest occurs in October. Most dependent young are noted from November to January and up to the end of March. The percentage breeding of records of the species has fluctuated more than it has increased. However the percentage breeding of breeding charts and percentage breeding of all charts has increased markedly. This was from no breeding records in Year 1, to recorded breeding on 34% of breeding charts in Year 15.
Graphs on page: 105, Rank: 27, Breeding Rank: 13, A = 2.59934, F = 65.07%, W = 51.9, R = 43.067%, G = 6.04.