birding-aus

Kookaburra behaviour

To: Susan Pepper <>,
Subject: Kookaburra behaviour
From: Koren Mitchell via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 19:26:38 +0800
What an amazing sight!

It reminds me of an occurrence a few years ago when I was living in Toowoomba. I was on a morning walk around the neighborhood when I saw in the distance what appeared to be an injured kookaburra. When I got close I saw that it was actually gripping the neck of a young grey butcherbird firmly in its beak, and didn't seem to know what to do next as it couldn't fly with such a large "catch".

I walked right up to it and eventually it let go and flew away. The butcherbird was severely traumatized and limp. I thought it might have had a broken neck but its feet gripped my finger so I took it home and put it in an aerated box with a saucer of water. A little while later it was looking up at me, so I took it outside and it shakily flew away. I know, one shouldn't interfere, but I don't really think I was depriving the kooka of a meal.

Cheers, Koren

--
Koren Mitchell

Currently living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

<HR>
<BR>