birding-aus

Fwd: Optics

To: Michael Hunter <>
Subject: Fwd: Optics
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:26:09 +0000
I actually work in a shop that sells binoculars about 45 min from San
Francisco.  Many customers come to our shop even from San Francisco and
surrounding Bay area because its rare that any shops in San Francisco
actually have binoculars physically at their location.  They can order them
for you perhaps but I would be surprised if any actually had the item in
store.

I travel back and forth from the US to Australia every couple of years.  Of
course I already have my binoculars with me (vortex razor 8x42) Retail
aprox $1200 US. I have never bothered to even mention them as they are in
my carry on luggage and although X-rayed no Aus immigration staff even asks
me questions about them.  Feel free to ask other questions if you like.
Cheers!

Don Kimball

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Michael Hunter <>
wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Michael Hunter <>
> > Date: 16 January 2017 6:49:43 am AEDT
> > To: "" <>
> > Subject: Optics
> >
> > Try googling " binoculars San Francisco."
> > Unfortunately prices in currency adjusted terms are about the same.
> > On top of that you pay State sales tax in California.
> > You might try buying them tax free in Aus before you leave but would
> need to declare them on your departure, and to be legal, on your return if
> you personally bring them back into Aus. when they might be recorded on
> computer even if you don't .
> >
> >           Good Luck.  There is some good birding in the vicinity if you
> rent a car and drive,  again check Google.
> >
> >       Cheers.  Michael
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list